You are here: Wild Ideas > Temple > Library >
Standard Odyssean Wine Blessing
Copyright 1979 (or thereabouts) by the Wiccan
Church of Canada.
Please do not reproduce without permission.
This is the standard Odyssean wine blessing as used by the Wiccan
Church of Canada. In the nine years since I wrote "Dealing
with Dualism", alternate wine blessings of various kinds have become
more common at WCC rituals, but this one is still the most frequently
- The male holds the power,
And is the reservoir of the power.
- The female taps the power in him
And channels it.
- Neither one can work without the other.
One without the other is incomplete.
- The Horned God is a God of Life and of Death.
- And the Goddess is of Birth and Renewal.
- To learn you must suffer,
To live you must be born,
To be born you must die.
The beginning, the continuation, and the end, over and over.
- The Sun brings forth light.
- And the Moon holds it in darkness.
- As above,
- So below.
- And as the athamé is to the male,
- So the chalice is to the female.
- And conjoined they be one in truth,
For there is no greater power in all the world
Than that of a man and a woman
Joined in the bonds of love.
Back to Dealing
All content copyright 1999-2006 by the
individual authors, where cited, or by
where not specifically credited.
Except where otherwise noted, this site is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs
Site design: Spider Silk Design - Toronto web designers
This page last modified: January 29, 2006